- Goodreads Reading Challenge: I set it at 100 then moved it to 120 during the year since I had started reading manga again. I finished with 133 books, I’m very happy with that! Achieved! ٩(^ᴗ^)۶
Read more Mangas, Comics and Graphic Novels: I only read more manga, no comics or Graphic Novels, but I read 57 mangas in 2019 so it’s a lot more than the 10ish I read the 2-3 previous years. Achieved! ٩(^ᴗ^)۶
- NOT Read More Outside of my Genres: I focused mostly on the genres I know I love in 2019 and that worked pretty well for me, so I’m sticking with the same policy in 2020! I’ve tried a few romance novels but they didn’t work for me so I’m going back to my fav genres (thrillers, YA contemporary, fiction). Achieved! ٩(^ᴗ^)۶
- NOT Read Authors/Books That Everyone is Raving About: I think I definitely made the right choice there. It’s sometimes difficult not to follow the trend when everybody’s raving about a book, but it generally doesn’t work for me to read the latest YA Fantasy sensation when I love gory thrillers. I followed more recommendations from people I agreed with in terms of reviews, I also read the backlist or new releases of authors I enjoyed in the past, and it worked quite well for me. Achieved! ٩(^ᴗ^)۶
- Reconnect with loved authors: I had a full list but didn’t get to reconnect with all these authors due to lack of time, many other books that grabbed my attention, and life. However I still managed to read books by Mo Hayder, James PAtterson (dropping that one in 2020), Michael Connelly and Rainbow Rowell, and overall it was a very positive experience so I’m definitely going to continue on that path in 2020. Almost achieved (・ωｰ)～☆
- Prioritize some manga series: I had a list for that one too and didn’t do too bad, I continued Detective Conan, Tokyo Ghoul, Seven Deadly Sins and Balck Butler. I didn’t get to Toriko nor My Hero Academia but it was still not too bad!
Almost achieved (・ωｰ)～☆
Now let’s move on to what I want to achieve in 2020!
The Goodreads Challenge
As for last year, I’m going for 120 books in 2020 for the Goodreads Challenge! I used to do 100 books, but since I’ve started reading manga again I think it would be a bit too easy, so my overall goal is 120 with at least 52 prose books. This year I was at around 70 so it shouldn’t be a problem.
The Audiobook Challenge
I signed up last year for the Audiobook Challenge hosted by Hot Listens & Caffeinated Reviewer, and I loved it! In 2019 I changed jobs and had a 30-minute commute with walk + bus, and at night I wanted to go home by foot. I’ve also moved in December 2019 so now it’s walk, subway, walk, bus, walk, for a total of about 35 minutes. So audio is definitely my go-to format since 2019, I’ve consumed about 95% of my novels in audio format, which was 67 audiobooks in 2019. I think I can do about 1 per week so I’m aiming for Marathoner (50+ audiobooks).
You can also take part in the Goodreads Group here, I thought it was great to follow my progress during the year.
I’ve never done the Monthly Motif reading challenge and I’m excited to do give it a try! This challenge hosted at girlxoxo was brought to my attention by Sara @ The Bibliophagist and it looks really cool, I’m excited because it’s fun but not too stressful since only a book per month should fit the prompt. It will be interesting to find a TBR for that one.
I’m going to start the year, and prompt “Winter Wonderland”, with Come Tumbling Down by Seanan McGuire, which I’ve purchased on Book Depository and should be delivered around the time I’ll be going home after the holidays.
I hope you are happy with the goals you achieved in 2019 and are ready for an amazing year in books in 2020! Let me know if you’re doing any of the challenges!
Thanks for stopping by! (๑•́ ₃ •̀๑)